Academic excellence is surely the prime consideration of VIDYALAYA. It is our firm conviction that all students are capable of learning and progressing. It is also our belief that education becomes actually meaningful when students are independent learners knowing to explore new horizons and self- discover to construct their knowledge independently. The school encourages the students’ intellectual, psychological, emotional, physical, spiritual and moral development.
Mode of Education & Instruction
In order to impart qualitative education, providing for students at the Pre-Primary , Primary, Middle School, High School & Higher Secondary levels, opportunities to learn & do activities and gain experience, the school has introduced Digital Teaching & learning through Multimedia. The essence of education is to train the mind to think and to display the multifarious hidden talents in the students as well. The school focuses on the holistic development of the students by providing them with diverse Curricular activities, Co-Curricular activities & Extracurricular activities.
Soft Skills & Life Skills
Language to be changed for Time Management, Study Skills, Co-operation and Teamwork, Communication, Values & Ethics.
Mode of Assessments
- The Academic year is divided into two terms.
- The first term will be from April to September and the second term from October to March.
- The performance of the students is evaluated through Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE) to reduce the workload of the students by means of evaluation of other activities. As part of this new system, students’ marks will be replaced by grades which will be evaluated through a series of curricular and extra-curricular evaluations along with academics.The school adopts Open Text-Based Assessment (OTBA) and Assessment of Speaking and Listening (ASL) as prescribed by the board.
- Students with only a minimum attendance of 80% alone are permitted to take up the Summative Assessments.
- Students with Fee Arrears will not be permitted to take up the Summative Assessments.
- Absentees should submit Leave Letter in the prescribed Leave Format. In case of sickness, a Medical Certificate should be attached along with the leave letter.
- A minimum of 33% is required in each subject for a child to be eligible for promotion.
VELAMMALVIDYALAYA proudly proclaims about owning faculties, who possess unique blend of specialised skills besides being professionally qualified and experienced. Each faculty is different, but undeniably adaptable,compassionate, creative, determined,evolving, passionate, resilient & resourceful in making a lasting inspirational impact on their respective pupils in building their future.
- The child’s development and maturity is in accordance with the quality of the learning opportunities provided. We create an environment where the child can operate not at his lowest survival level but at his highest, most creative potential.
- Education given is interactive, participatory and democratic.
- We focus on the processes of learning rather than merely on the content and performance. At Velammal Vidyalaya, we believe that “The child is an autonomous being” and so provide the child with opportunities to express his autonomy rather than be continually acted upon.
- The School envisions to build students’ strengths, interests and experiences to develop confidence in their capacity to learn and work independently and collaboratively.
THE SCHOOL CURRICULUM
The school follows the curriculum prescribed by the Central Board of Secondary Education with English as the First Language. The school offers
- Hindi/Tamil as the Second Language for classes I-VII
- Hindi/Tamil is offered as III Language for classes VI & VII
The school follows the system of Internal Assessments for classes I to VII. Marks/Grades are awarded for Scholastic subjects and Co-scholastic subjects.
STUDENTS’ PREFECTORIAL SYSTEM
The school aims at developing leadership qualities in students to mould them to become nation builders. The Council comprises the School Pupil Leader and an Assistant School Pupil Leader from Std-VII. Further, there are Head Boys and Head Girls for each Compartment. The school also appoints Presidents and Vice Presidents for all the Clubs functioning in the school. The school has a well designed system of selecting the leaders. The administrative staff assisted by the Class Teachers select students who have the attributes of a leader, excel in Academics, Sports and Cultural Activities and are also well disciplined and possess social grace. These selected students are given a self appraisal questionnaire and then called for an interview by the Selection Panel comprising a team of School Administrators. Students are selected purely on merit.